Bible Text: Revelation 1:1–11; 21:1–4; 22
Lesson Focus: Revelation is a message of hope for all Christians, especially those who are persecuted or suffering.
Big Question: Does Revelation predict and describe the end of the world?
Key Words: REVELATION, CHRISTIAN, CONVERT, FAITHFUL, RAPTURE
• Revelation was likely written in A.D. 95, making it one of the youngest books in the Bible.
Bible Text: Acts 2:1–21; John 14:25–28
Lesson Focus: The Spirit, who is poured out on us in Holy Baptism, equips Jesus’ followers to pass along the good news.
Big Question: God creates, Jesus redeems, but what does the Holy Spirit do?
Key Words: PENTECOST, POWER, HOLY SPIRIT, PROCLAIM
• The coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost fulfills Joel’s prophecy, John [continue reading...]
Bible Text: Matthew 27; Mark 15; Luke 23; John 19
Lesson Focus: In his dying, Jesus fulfills God’s intent.
Big Question: How can death be about life?
Key Words: CRUCIFIXION, RELIANCE, SALVATION
• All four Gospels have accounts of Jesus’ trial, torture, and execution by crucifixion.
• Not the religious authorities, civil authorities, crowds, nor Jesus’ followers stopped Jesus’ execution.
• [continue reading...]
Bible Text: Matthew 26:20–29; Mark 14:12–16; Luke 22:14–38
Lesson Focus: Jesus’ blood is the sign of God’s new promise for us.
Big Question: What’s the connection between Jesus’ last supper and Passover?
Key Words: COVENANT, PASSOVER, LAST SUPPER, SACRIFICE, FORGIVENESS
• Jesus’ last supper was a Passover meal. Passover is a Jewish feast celebrating the ancient Israelites’ liberation from slavery.
• [continue reading...]
Bible Text: John 19–20
Lesson Focus: Jesus turns our expectations about life and death upside down.
Big Question: How is this possible?
Key Words: RESURRECTION, DOUBT, EXPECTATION, ALLELUIA, POSSIBLE
• John’s account of the death and resurrection of Jesus is full of surprises and unexpected events.
• One example of the unexpected is that, in a time when women weren’t trusted [continue reading...]
Bible Text: Luke 15
Lesson Focus: God always makes the extra effort to find the lost and welcome them home.
Big Question: Does God really look for everyone who is lost?
Key Words: LOST, FOUND, GRACE, FORGIVENESS, CELEBRATE
• The context in which these stories are told is important and demands that we look at the hard question these parables pose for the (supposedly) “non-lost.” They just might be the [continue reading...]
Confirmation will resume on the regular schedule in April
Confirmation students are strongly encouraged to attend church Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Morning, to hear the central stories of our faith.
Maundy Thursday remembers Jesus’ last supper with his disciples and the institution of Holy Communion. Come to Our Savior’s at 7:00 on March 28
Good Friday remembers Jesus’ crucifixion and death. Come to St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church at 7:00 on March 29.
Easter [continue reading...]
Bible Text: Luke 10:25–37
Lesson Focus: Jesus teaches us to love our neighbors without boundaries.
Big Question: I know my enemy, and I know my neighbor, so how can they be the same person?
Key Words: PRIEST, LEVITE, SAMARITAN, NEIGHBOR
• We are each called to love God and our neighbor.
• God’s love extends beyond religious differences and all human [continue reading...]
Bible Text: Luke 9:10–17; Matthew 14:13–21; Mark 6:32–41; John 6:1–14
Lesson Focus: God responds to human needs with abundance.
Big Question: What can I do to help others?
Key Words: ABUNDANCE, SCARCITY, MULTIPLICATION, BLESSING
• Fully divine and fully human, Jesus could empathize with the hungry masses that followed him. He provided for their real-life needs—when they were hungry, he gave them [continue reading...]
Bible Text: Luke 6:20–26; Matthew 5:3–12; Luke 4:18–19
Lesson Focus: In God’s kingdom, the things that rule our earthly life no longer apply.
Big Question: What blessings are there for me in God’s kingdom?
Key Words: BEATITUDE, PEACE, JUSTICE
• The Beatitudes are part of Jesus’ teachings from the Sermon on the Mount.
• Jesus calls us to look at the [continue reading...]